Submissions are currently CLOSED. For up to date information see Twitter and sign up to our mailing list.
- Northern Gravy welcomes submissions from UK & Ireland writers of any background, including first-time writers. We welcome work from members of groups or communities typically under-represented within literature, whether or not the work addresses this.
- All submissions should be previously unpublished.
- We believe in paying writers. Those we select for publication will be paid a fee of £100 for the use of their work, which we will partner with the writer to edit and prepare.
- Writers we select for publication and pay may also be invited to read their work at live events, digital launches and on the Northern Gravy podcast and social media platforms. We believe that experiencing writing as the author intended is vital to understanding it’s true meaning, as well as providing valuable experience to new writers.
- Our guideline word count for Fiction and KidLit is a maximum of 2000 words. Poems no more than 40 lines.
- We are happy to read: one story or up to four poems. You can to submit simultaneously to all three areas.
- Submissions should be in one .doc or .docx attachment (direct to the email, not via Google Docs, etc.) and in a non-quirky font. Prose submissions should be double-spaced and all submissions should be in a minimum of size 12.
- Please include a short third-person biography (max 100 words) in the body of your email. If you are sending a prose submission, please note the word count of the piece in the body of the email.
- Email work to Submissions@NorthernGravy.com, indicating the category of your submission in the subject line (Fiction, KidLit or Poetry). Submissions that do not include this will not be correctly filtered by the email client and may subsequently not be read.
- We are happy to consider simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please note that we cannot offer feedback on unsuccessful submissions.
- All submissions will receive a response within two weeks of the end of the submission process.
- Should you need any further guidance on the submission process, email us at email@example.com or tweet us @NorthGravy